If you want to gain the most out of your experience as a learner, ask yourself – who would you want to be:
A quick look into Passive vs Active Learner:
A Passive Learner
- Simply taking in what the teacher told you
- Copying notes without thinking into own context and understanding
- Can regurgitate what they have learnt but don’t know how to apply
An Active Learner
- Engages in 2 way discussion
- Practice in applying what they have learnt
- Makes effort to understand the knowledge they have gained into their own understanding and clarifies if needed
We have seen many students along this decade long of music coaching.
Some students expect to come and go weekly without exercising independent thinking. Nothing wrong with that… but as what we’ve observed through these 10 years, students whom actively engaged in digesting the information imparted, gained the most and improved significantly in a very short period of time.
We have received umpteen thank you gifts, letters from students whom experienced significant breakthroughs in just 3 months. We even witnessed students bloomed into a stage performer from a total beginner – All in just 18 months!
They always thanked and appreciated our coaches but we say, it always takes 2 hands to clap. Without their active participation in learning, our efforts would not have helped them too!
So, start taking an active approach to everything you do from today onwards!
Stop saying ‘Cannot’, ‘I will try’, ‘Difficult’, etc… If there’s a will, there’s a way.
You will realize a huge difference it makes. 🙂